CLICK TO RENT FILM.
During these strange times, a few independent cinema distributors have created “Virtual Screenings” of some of the independent films we were planning to show on the big screen. This makes it so we are still able to show you these fantastic films, and it’s also a huge economic support to independent theatres like the Bear Tooth Theatrepub.
If you are interested in supporting us during these hard times while watching great cinema, you can! For each film you rent, a percentage of the cost will go directly to us–sometimes this will be 100%, sometimes less. Every little bit helps!
A few years from now… Bacurau, a small village in the Brazilian sertão, mourns the loss of its matriarch, Carmelita, who lived to be 94. Days later, its inhabitants (among them Sônia Braga) notice that their village has literally vanished from most maps and a UFO-shaped drone starts flying overhead. There are forces that want to expel them from their homes, and soon, in a genre-bending twist, a band of armed mercenaries led by Udo Kier arrive in town picking off the inhabitants one by one. A fierce confrontation takes place when the townspeople turn the tables on the villainous outsiders, banding together by any means necessary to protect and maintain their remote community.
In Portuguese with English subtitles.
“Unexpectedly moving… a genre-busting entertainment that is at once a portrait of a community, a horror thriller and a timely piece of political filmmaking.” – John Powers, NPR
Since this is a new initiative that we put together exceedingly quickly, some customers are bound to encounter minor technical snags. Please contact customer service through the links on the rental page or here: firstname.lastname@example.org.Please be aware of the following:
- Roku app sometimes has slow load time. We are planning to introduce a new app, but not ready for this effort.
- AppleTV app only works on devices running tvOS 9 or later. To view film after purchasing via Desktop or Mobile, go to “My Library” option at top of Apple TV homepage.
- Amazon Fire app not yet available, hope to have one launched soon.
- Google Chromecast (and other “casting” options built into Smart TVs) works for many folks but not all.
- The films are currently available in the USA and Canada only.
- Film is encoded in HD, but Kino Now delivers in variable bitrates. Performance can vary based upon end-user’s bandwidth
- We realize there may be some customers who become frustrated by technical problems. If so, we can easily refund. To arrange a refund, send a note to email@example.com with the name/email address of the customer.
- Double appearance of items in account area. This is a known bug, but doesn’t affect viewing of film. Customer has only been charged once.
Exhilarating… Part of what’s exciting is how the filmmakers marshal genre in the service of their ideas, using film form to deflect, tease and surprise. –Manohla Dargis, The New York Times